St. Mary’s Basilica, Bangalore, the very old church is placed in the Archdiocese of Bangalore, in the Karnataka State. It was the First Church in the Karnataka state, which was upgraded in the form of a minor basilica. This oldest church is renowned for holding festivals in the month of September. Foreigners or the Indians, No one leaves the place without visiting this Holy Place or Temple in Bangalore. Many people often call it shivaji nagar church bangalore since it is located in Shivajinagar.
st. mary’s basilica bangalore address : Msgr. F. Noronha Road, Shivaji Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560051
st. mary’s basilica of bangalore location : Shivajinagar
- 1 The history behind the St. Mary’s Basilica, Bangalore
- 2 St. Mary’s Feast at St. Mary’s Basilica Bangalore
- 3 St. Mary’s Basilica Bangalore mass timings
The history behind the St. Mary’s Basilica, Bangalore
In The 17th century, the st. mary’s basilica Bangalore had a little straw hut, which was made by a Tamil migrant of the Christian religion. At the primary time of Bangalore formation was not that up to the mark when Srirangapattana was introducing with Christianity for the first time. The thatched structure was called “Kaanike Mathe Devalaya” in Kannada. This name depicts the meaning of “Church of Our Lady”. In 1803 Fr. Jean-Antoine Duboishad made a Chapel with a thatched roof in the place of Bili Akki Palli which is also known as Blackpalli. That area is now, known as Shivaji Nagar. and Catholic religion authorities were offered mass here. Dubois used to keep constant Mass together in that small Thatched roof structure. Both European and Indian Catholics used to come in every mass in that thatched roof. In the year of 1811, Dubois made up a small chapel with some Priests. The British helped to turn the small chapel into a Church which is today called the “st. mary’s basilica“. From 1856 to 1882 The church got reconstructed with its real name, “the Church of Our Lady of the Presentation.” Rev. L. E. Kleiner is the face behind the royal Gothic-style church.On 8 September 1882, the church was blessed by Bishop Jean-Yves-Marie Coadou with 4,000 Catholics and 35 priests. The church was upgraded to the Minor Basilica by Pope Paul VI in the year of 1973.
St. Mary’s Feast at St. Mary’s Basilica Bangalore
On 8th of September, The main festival occurs in the St. Mary’s Basilica, Bangalore. The festival is all about the birth of Mother Mary. Almost more than 1 lakh people come and join hand to celebrate mother mary’s birthday. The festival takes almost 10 days including the last day of grand chariot procession. the festival starts with flaunting of the traditional flag. Hoisting of the flag is indicating our heart raising towards the GOD. From August 29 to September 7, nine days novena is fulfilled. Mother Mary was born on September 8. So the September 8 is considered as the main holy Feast of the Catholics. The worshipers dressed in the ‘Saffron’ clothing during the St. Mary’s Feast. on that day different language mass is observed. Mass marriages of the poor and needy people are also observed at that auspicious day. Those who have passed along 50 years journey of relationships are also invited to join the thanksgiving mass on that day. Eucharistic celebrations also take place on that day. Decorated chariot of Mother Mary roams at the various kind of streets in Bangalore.
St. Mary’s Basilica Bangalore mass timings
There are three types of mass timings observed in St. Mary’s Basilica church. One for the Weekdays or working days, the second type for the Saturdays and the Third type is for the Sundays. So the shivaji nagar church mass timings is as below
Mass timings of workings days are kind of like this
- Morning, 6.00 a.m. – English.
- Morning, 6.45 a.m. – Tamil.
- Morning, 11.00 a.m. – Tamil.
- For Monday, Tuesday & Friday, 6.30 p.m. – Tamil
- Wednesday, 6.30 p.m. – Kannada.
- Thursday, 6.30 p.m. – English.
At every first Tuesday of month evening, 6.00 p.m. Mass occurs at St. Anthony’s Chapel, Noah Street.
And, every day 03.00 p.m. is reserved for Divine Mercy Prayer at Shrine.
The Saturday mass looks like
St. Mary’s Basilica, Bangalore has a little long program for the weekends rather than the working days.it Conducts programs such as,
- Morning, 6.00 a.m. – English
- Morning, 6.45 a.m. – Tamil
- Morning, 9.00 a.m. – Kannada
- Morning, 10.00 a.m. – English
- Morning, 11.00 a.m. – Eucharistic Procession followed by Benediction.
- Morning, 11.30 a.m. – Tamil
- Evening, 5.45 p.m. – Novena and Mass in Tamil
- Night Vigil: – Every first Saturday of Month Tamil mass emblazon on 10.00 p.m. To 5.00 a.m. and English Mass emblazon on every Third Saturday of The Month.
Sunday Mass timings
On Sundays, all the main part of mass programmes are conducted in the morning times. the timings of Sunday mass are like
- Morning at 6.00 a.m.- English
- Morning at 7.00 a.m. – Tamil.
- Morning at 8.00 a.m. – Tamil.
- Morning at 8.30 a.m. – At St. Anne’s Convent Tamil mass emblazons.
- Morning,9.15 a.m. – Kannada
- Morning,10.30 a.m. – Baptism on First and Third Sunday of every Month.
- Morning at 11.00 a.m. – Tamil
- Evening at 6.00 p.m. – English.
Feast Day masses
Feast day masses are also quite a bid process.
- Morning 4.30 a.m- 5.00 p.m. – Mass observed in every half an hour during the day.
- Morning, 8.00 a.m.- Kannada
- Morning, 9.30 a.m -Tamil (Concelebrated Feast Day Masses at Russell Market Square)
- Evening, 5.30 p.m. – Decorated Car Procession of Mother Mary.
- 30 p.m. – Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.
- 00 p.m. – A Thanksgiving Mass.
Every day at 5.30 p.m. – Sermon, Flag Hoisting & Benediction of the blessed sacrament at the Flag Post are observed.
Highlights of Novena days
- Mass Marriages are held on Sunday – Kannada st10.00 a.m. and Tamil at 11.45 a.m.
- For the Golden Jubilarians of Married Life, Mass is observed.
- On First Saturday of the feast time, Night Vigil celebrated.
- Special Mass for the Sick and disturbed people.
Hope, we have provided the true and best pieces of knowledge about St. Mary’s Basilica, Bangalore. The next time if you land up at Bangalore then do visit St. Mary’s Basilica, this oldest church on Bangalore. You can share your traveling experiences with us by letting us know your thoughts in the comment box! Thank you!